Chapel to be erected in the place where Gagarin crashed
The Dean of the Kirzhach District Archpriest Dimitry Yershov conducted the consecration, among those who attended the ceremony was twice heroes of the Soviet Union cosmonauts-pilot Alexey Leonov, who actively participated in restoration of St. Andrew’s Church built in 1825, which is located nearby.
The chapel will be built near the memorial to Gagarin and his pilot instructor Vladimir Seryogin opened in 1975. A monument consists of a 16-meter wall in form of an aircraft wing made of red granite. Portraits of Gagarin and Seryogin are carved on the front side.
MIG-112 aircraft, an exact copy of the plane in which they started for their last flight, is also put up on the memorial.
After the consecration of the foundation stone of the future chapel and official commemorative events, a memorial service was held at the St. Andrew the First-Called Church, followed by a bell ringing from the bell tower in memory of the heroes.
Read also
Major shrines in Chernivtsi re-registered under citizen Bodoriak's name
Unknown individuals made changes to the Unified State Register.
Court revokes UOC’s property rights to St. Baisl Convent in Ovruch
The monastery’s lawyer also noted that the statute of limitations on the case had long expired, but the court disagreed.
RCC cardinal: Christ gave His life for people, not for ‘Great Russia’ idea
Gerhard Müller criticized modern political ideologies, calling them limited and dangerous.
National Unity Minister reveals how many Ukrainians will return from abroad
Chernyshov believes that 30% of Ukrainians will return home after the war.
Official involved in church seizure in Sutkivtsi arrested for corruption
OCU activist Viktor Palamarchuk personally broke the locks on the historic Protection Church in Sutkivtsi.