One family: Vinnitsa parishioners say how they defended their temple

People gathered from all over Vinnitsa and the eparchy to defend the temple

An eyewitness to the events told the UOJ that believers had gathered from all parts of the Vinnitsa eparchy to defend the temple.

The woman said: the parishioners finished the Liturgy at 11:30, did not disperse and began to read the Gospel. At this time, a lot of Orthodox believers came to the church, including many men who gathered in the cathedral to fight back the Right Sector.

The faithful flocked from all over Vinnitsa and the eparchy to defend the temple. According to her, the church didn’t witness so many people at the solemn meeting of the newly appointed ruling bishop of the Vinnitsa eparchy Archbishop Varsonofy of Vinnitsa and Bar.

Since so many people came to the service in the temple, the rector decided to serve the Great Compline.

At 14:00, activists from the Right Sector came to the church, most of the 20-year-olds were in balaclavas.

At the same time, Archbishop Varsonofy of Vinnitsa and Bar came to the temple, accompanied by the numerous clergy of the city.

When the nationalists approached the walls of the Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross, several thousand parishioners led by the ruling bishop came out to them. The believers took surrounded them and began tearing off their balaclavas with the words: “Open your faces, let your mothers see it.”

The radicals tried to say that the “Moscow priests” should leave Vinnitsa, since Tomos had already been given to Ukraine, however, Archbishop Varsonofy explained to them that the Ukrainian Orthodox Church is much more independent than the OCU and suggested comparing the texts of the UOC and OCU’s Tomoses.

We had no fear. We did not know whether we would return home, but we knew that we were all one family and we all stood for the faith,” the parishioner summarized.

As the UOJ reported, on January 6, 2019, in Vinnitsa, several thousand Orthodox believers of Vinnitsa did not allow Right Sector activists to arrange a provocation and defended the Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross.

Read also

Priests and laity of Rivne Eparchy donate blood for children with cancer

In Rivne, the UOC clergy and laity have donated blood for children undergoing treatment for cancer.

Kyiv seminary students meet with People’s Artist Larisa Kadochnikova

Students of Kyiv’s theological schools spoke with the legend of Ukrainian cinema, who shared her memories of filming "Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors".

Bancheny Monastery reports provocation

The UOC monastery in Bancheny has reported a provocation by unidentified individuals.

Romanian Church to hold joint prayer for peace in Ukraine

On the fourth anniversary of the beginning of the war in Ukraine, special prayers for an end to the hostility will be offered in all churches of the Romanian Patriarchate, both in the country and abroad.

Armenian bishops call on authorities to stop Church persecution

At a meeting in Austria, hierarchs of the Armenian Apostolic Church reaffirmed their faithfulness to Catholicos Karekin II of All Armenians and called on the authorities to stop the persecution of the clergy.

Italian media: Ukrainian authorities persecute the country’s largest confession

The Italian outlet L’Identità reported on mass searches, the arrests of clergy, and the ban on the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, which it describes as the largest Church in Ukraine.