Minister of Culture comments on situation with the lease of Lavra temples
Oleksandr Tkachenko, Minister of Culture of Ukraine. Photo: Telegram channel "1 Kozaktv".
On December 27, 2022, Minister of Culture and Information Policy Oleksandr Tkachenko said in the programme TSN that the Ministry of Culture supported the decision to terminate the lease agreement between the state and the UOC on the lease of the Assumption and Refectory temples of the Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra.
"We, in pursuance of a presidential decree to check the status of the use of the Lavra’s property, will recommend (because we cannot order) not to extend such an agreement," said the official, commenting on the appeal to the President of Ukraine of the Lavra’s abbot, Metropolitan Pavel of Vyshhorod and Chornobyl.
Tkachenko said that an interdepartmental government commission on the use of the Lavra's property had been established and, until it completes its work, no new lease agreements will be concluded. "The current agreements will remain in force until the inspection is completed," the minister confirmed.
He also explained that in 2013 an indefinite agreement was concluded for the use of the Lower Lavra by the Ukrainian Orthodox Church. "But given that there is now a decree (of the President – Ed.) and an interdepartmental commission, we will have to check the legality of the use, whether there have been any violations, and, taking this into account, already make appropriate decisions," Tkachenko stressed, adding that the task of the Ministry of Culture is "to preserve and legally use the Lower Lavra’s property for its intended purpose." "This is something we will deal with in the near future," the official resumed.
As reported, Metropolitan Pavel asked the Ukrainian President to leave the temples of Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra with the UOC.
Read also
"Stigmatization based on faith": DESS reprimands TSN for story about Muslims
DESS criticized TSN because "the investigation in the "1+1" news story immediately took on an accusatory bias, and the accused themselves were not given a voice."
His Beatitude Onuphry: Through fasting, man returns to Paradise
On Forgiveness Sunday, His Beatitude Metropolitan Onuphry reminded the faithful about Adam's fall and urged them to repent before Great Lent.
Archbishop of Greece speaks about his successor and the Church's future
On the occasion of the 18th anniversary of his leadership of the Greek Church, the Primate gave an interview in which he spoke about relations with the state, the situation in Sinai, and the challenges of the modern world.
In Barcelona, Sagrada Familia’s central tower completed after 144 years
In Barcelona, a glass cross was installed on the Sagrada Familia temple, completing the central tower and bringing the building to the height of 172.5 meters.
On Forgiveness Sunday, His Beatitude Onuphry celebrates Liturgy at Lavra
During Cheesefare Week, His Beatitude Metropolitan Onuphry celebrated the Liturgy at the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra, addressed the flock with a sermon, and offered prayers for peace and the preservation of Ukraine's people.
In Hnidyn, St. Nicholas Church of UOC damaged by shelling
As a result of shelling, the St. Nicholas Church of the UOC in the village of Hnidyn of the Boryspil Eparchy was damaged.