5 years after seizure: Bells of new UOC temple consecrated in Katerynivka

In Katerinivka, new bells were consecrated for a temple built instead of the one occupied by schismatics. Photo: Facebook/First Cossack

On September 8, 2020, in the village of Katerynivka, Ternopil region, the bells of the new church of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church were consecrated in honor of the holy great martyr and healer Panteleimon, which the faithful built instead of the one chosen by the schismatics five years ago. This was reported by the First Cossack on its Facebook page.

"September 21 will mark the 5th anniversary of the terrible events in the village of Katerynivka, Ternopil region, which became known far beyond Ukraine. This was the first audacious and bloody seizure of an Orthodox temple in Ukraine after the revolutionary events of Euromaidan," the statement said.

Then, the resource recalled, the raider attack took place with the participation of "Right Sector" militants and the forceful support of the Ternopil special police squad.

"People who tried to protect their church from the raiders of the Kyiv Patriarchate were beaten with truncheons, gassed and thrown over fences that day, journalists were 'twisted' and taken out of the territory of the massacre. Very young seminarians got injured, they were beaten and traumatized. This day is remembered as the ‘Massacre in Katerynivka’,” the journalists of the "First Cossack" said.

Three years ago, the Orthodox community of Katerynivka consecrated its new church to replace the St. George's temple, which had been grabbed by schismatics.

“And today the bells for their temple are solemnly consecrated in honor of the holy great martyr and healer Panteleimon, and worshipers are celebrating another spiritual victory. May God save all the faithful! ” journalists shared their joy.

As reported by the UOJ, on September 21, 2015, in the village of Katerynivka, members of the UOC-KP and about 30 militants of the "Right Sector" forcibly took away the church from the Orthodox community. The storming of the church was accompanied by the beating of believers, in which the security officers of the Ministry of Internal Affairs also took part.

In January 2017, the parishioners of the affected religious community began the construction of a new temple, while in January 2018, the believers celebrated Christmas in their new church.

Read also

DESS: Ramadan is a time of special closeness to the Almighty

DESS congratulated Ukraine’s Muslims on the beginning of Ramadan.

Jehovah’s witness pastor sentenced in Lviv region for refusing TRC service

A court in Lviv region sentenced a Jehovah’s Witness pastor to five years in prison for unauthorized absence from his unit and for refusing to serve as a TRC cook.

Orthodox Church in America raises $700,000 for Ukrainians in Poland

An OCA representative met with Metropolitan Sava and discussed humanitarian support for Ukrainian refugees in Poland.

Hollywood Catholic actors remind of the spiritual meaning of Great Lent

Mark Wahlberg i Jonathan Roumie recorded a video message calling for prayer at the beginning of Great Lent.

MP Huz discusses seizure of UOC monastery in Myltsi with Volyn RMA head

Huz demanded that the authorities "resolve the situation" with the St. Nicholas Monastery of the Volodymyr-Volynsky Eparchy of the UOC.

Lviv authorities to allocate UAH 300,000 for UGCC church damaged by shelling

The Lviv City Council will finance the restoration of stained glass windows of the Uniate church after damage sustained as a result of a missile strike.