Ministry of Culture threatens to seal five Lower Lavra buildings

Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra. Photo: tourpedia.ru

The Ministry of Culture of Ukraine threatened to seal five buildings of the Lower Lavra and demanded that the monks vacate the premises by July 4, 2023.

Lawyer Nikita Chekman reported this in his telegram channel.

According to him, the corresponding letter came from the Ministry of Culture and Information Policy of Ukraine.

"The reserve (Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra – Ed.) made a decision to terminate the access of the monks of the monastery to the premises... By order of the reserve, a commission was set up to seal the buildings, which will begin work on July 4, 2023. In this regard, we ask you to vacate the premises and hand over the keys to the reserve," says the document sent to the address of the Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra.

The following premises will be sealed:

– Building 45 – cells in the Near Caves;
– Building 54 – Guest courtyard, office;
– Building 57 – cells of the Guest House;
– Building 71 – cells of the Guest House;
– Building 69 - cells of the Guest House.

The reserve requires the monks to hand over the keys for these premises. Otherwise, the locks will be cut off and replaced.

Let us remind you that in early March, the Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra National Reserve decided to terminate the lease agreement with the monastery and ordered the clergy to vacate the premises by March 29, while the monks were allowed to stay if they transferred to the OCU. The decision was explained by the fact that the commission of the Ministry of Culture found violations in the use of state property by the Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra.

The Ukrainian Orthodox Church challenged the demand to leave the Lavra, calling the decision to terminate the lease "lawless."

"On March 23, we filed a lawsuit, and already the third judge recuses himself," Metropolitan Pavel (Lebed), abbot of the Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra, said. Later he was sent under house arrest on suspicion of inciting inter-religious enmity.

As previously reported by UOJ, the head of the Ministry of Culture stated that centers of cultural and secular life should appear in the Lavra.

Read also

Iran raises $1.3 million for sacrificial offering to pray for ayatollah's recovery

Iranians outraged by call to fund sacrificial ritual for the health of Ayatollah Khamenei.

Zelensky signs law on the National Pantheon

The National Pantheon of Ukraine will have a non-denominational status.

Ukraine now allows matronymics alongside patronymics

Ukrainian legislation has allowed people to change their patronymic since 2021, including replacing the father's name with the mother's name.

Kharkiv's gay community announces LGBT march

At the pride march in Kharkiv, participants will demand the legalization of same-sex marriages in Ukraine.

Ukrainians criticize official who called pilgrimage to Pochaiv "horrifying"

Threads users did not support the head of the "Ancient Kyiv" Reserve, Roman Malenkov, who called the UOC pilgrimage "a horrifying horror."

Metropolitan Alexiy of Voznesensk consecrates chapel in Velyka Solona

The ruling bishop of the Voznesensk Eparchy performed the consecration of the Chapel of the Holy Martyrs Faith, Hope, Love, and their mother Sophia.