UOC spokesman: In case of pressure, the Church can react like in Montenegro

Archpriest Nikolai Danilevich. Photo: Photo: apostrophe.ua

The deputy head of the Department for External Church Relations of the UOC, Archpriest Nikolai Danilevich, in the program "Right to Faith" on First Cossack channel stated that if the authorities continue to discredit the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, a Montenegrin scenario is quite possible.

The priest told how he participated in one of the religious processions against the anti-church law in Montenegro. These cross processions, led by the deceased Montenegrin Metropolitan Amfilohije (Radovic), gathered a huge number of believers. During the pitstops, short prayers were held, after which Metropolitan Amfilohije delivered sermons, not being afraid to denounce the secular authorities and personally the Montenegrin President Djukanovic for infringing on the rights of the Church.

“I stood nearby and heard him speak openly about everything. We tend to hope that the situation will resolve itself, we try to remain calm, but the wisdom is to understand where to act like Vladyka Amfilohije, who proved the effectiveness of this path (after all, the anti-church law was changed), and where, as in our case, to be humble. However, when the need arises, we will follow the path of Vladyka Amfilohije,” said the UOC spokesman.

Father Nikolai believes that Orthodox Christians in Montenegro are more united than believers in Ukraine, because half of the population took to the streets of the cities of Montenegro in defense of the Orthodox Church. But he added that, if necessary, numerous believers will take to the streets of Ukrainian cities to protect the rights of the canonical Church.

“Every Sunday nearly 2 million people go to our churches, on big holidays there are even more, and the same number of believers will take to the streets of cities, if there is a need to uphold religious rights.

Archpriest Nicholas called on the Ukrainian authorities not to play off people on religious grounds and to allow people to go to the church they choose, without renaming or infringing on the rights of believers of the UOC, so that, God forbid, to prevent the religious wars the history of Ukraine knows of ... 

As the UOJ previously reported, the UOC denied the information about the restriction of its rights by the ROC Synod.

Read also

Priests and laity of Rivne Eparchy donate blood for children with cancer

In Rivne, the UOC clergy and laity have donated blood for children undergoing treatment for cancer.

Kyiv seminary students meet with People’s Artist Larisa Kadochnikova

Students of Kyiv’s theological schools spoke with the legend of Ukrainian cinema, who shared her memories of filming "Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors".

Bancheny Monastery reports provocation

The UOC monastery in Bancheny has reported a provocation by unidentified individuals.

Romanian Church to hold joint prayer for peace in Ukraine

On the fourth anniversary of the beginning of the war in Ukraine, special prayers for an end to the hostility will be offered in all churches of the Romanian Patriarchate, both in the country and abroad.

Armenian bishops call on authorities to stop Church persecution

At a meeting in Austria, hierarchs of the Armenian Apostolic Church reaffirmed their faithfulness to Catholicos Karekin II of All Armenians and called on the authorities to stop the persecution of the clergy.

Italian media: Ukrainian authorities persecute the country’s largest confession

The Italian outlet L’Identità reported on mass searches, the arrests of clergy, and the ban on the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, which it describes as the largest Church in Ukraine.