UOC hierarch: Seizure in Zabolotye inspired by State Dept Secretary’s words

Bishop Victor (Kotsaba). Photo: Vz.ua

The head of the Representation of the UOC to European international organizations, Bishop Victor (Kotsaba) of Baryshevka, stated on his Telegram channel that the words of US Secretary of State Antony Blinken, said to the head of the OCU Epiphany Dumenko during his visit to Kyiv, led to the seizure of the UOC temple in Zabolotye.

“A few days ago, we wrote that the words of US Secretary of State Antony Blinken about ‘the removal of artificial obstacles in the free, based on the principles of freedom of conscience, determination of their communities’ affiliation’, said by him recently in the capital of Ukraine, can be perceived by individual Ukrainian officials as a call for action, which will lead to a new wave of seizures of UOC churches. And today it became known that in the village of Zabolotye ... there was another seizure of an Orthodox church by the OCU activists ... with the direct participation of two district deputies and representatives of the ‘Municipal Guard’," wrote Bishop Victor.

The hierarch of the UOC drew attention to several factors at once during the seizure of the temple in Zabolotye.

“Participants in the seizure of the temple were recruited in a Viber group. That is, these people have nothing to do with both the temple itself and the religious community that gathers in the temple."

"The locks on the church were cut off, which can already be charged as a violation of the current legislation, and representatives of the Orthodox community are simply not allowed inside the church."

And thirdly, “the people's representatives, who, according to the Constitution of Ukraine, should treat the representatives of all confessions equally, took part in this illegal action. Besides, those who were supposed to keep order – representatives of the "Municipal Guard" – also took an active part. "

According to him, all these facts raise the question: "Are these ‘the principles of freedom of conscience’ that the high representative of the country from overseas spoke about, or is it ‘the removal of obstacles’ on the way of these ‘principles’?"

“In the case of affirmative answers to these two questions, it becomes obvious that the ‘obstacle’ is the UOC itself. And this ‘obstacle’ is really serious and big because today the Ukrainian Orthodox Church remains the largest denomination of Ukraine,” resumed Bishop Victor.

As previously reported, the hierarch of the UOC said that Blinken's words could be understood as a call for new seizures of churches.

Read also

"Stigmatization based on faith": DESS reprimands TSN for story about Muslims

DESS criticized TSN because "the investigation in the "1+1" news story immediately took on an accusatory bias, and the accused themselves were not given a voice."

His Beatitude Onuphry: Through fasting, man returns to Paradise

On Forgiveness Sunday, His Beatitude Metropolitan Onuphry reminded the faithful about Adam's fall and urged them to repent before Great Lent.

Archbishop of Greece speaks about his successor and the Church's future

On the occasion of the 18th anniversary of his leadership of the Greek Church, the Primate gave an interview in which he spoke about relations with the state, the situation in Sinai, and the challenges of the modern world.

In Barcelona, Sagrada Familia’s central tower completed after 144 years

In Barcelona, a glass cross was installed on the Sagrada Familia temple, completing the central tower and bringing the building to the height of 172.5 meters.

On Forgiveness Sunday, His Beatitude Onuphry celebrates Liturgy at Lavra

During Cheesefare Week, His Beatitude Metropolitan Onuphry celebrated the Liturgy at the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra, addressed the flock with a sermon, and offered prayers for peace and the preservation of Ukraine's people.

In Hnidyn, St. Nicholas Church of UOC damaged by shelling

As a result of shelling, the St. Nicholas Church of the UOC in the village of Hnidyn of the Boryspil Eparchy was damaged.