SOC сriticizes Montenegro's authorities over events in Srebrenica

Patriarch Porfirije (Perić) of the Serbian Orthodox Church during the Feast of the Holy Trinity. Photo: spc.rs

Patriarch Porfirije of the Serbian Orthodox Church and Metropolitan Joanikije of Montenegro and the Littoral harshly criticized the Montenegrin Parliament, which on June 17 adopted a resolution recognizing the "genocide" of the Muslim population in Srebrenica, according to reports from the press services of the SOC and the Metropolis of Montenegro and the Littoral.

The document effectively labels the Serbs as an "aggressor nation".

Patriarch Porfirije called the decision a betrayal, while Metropolitan Joanikije called it hypocrisy, noting that the Montenegrin Parliament has yet to condemn the crimes of the Croatian fascists (Ustaše).

The Patriarch expressed his wishes for enlightenment and wisdom for Montenegro’s new leadership, which came to power with the support of the late Metropolitan Amfilohije of Montenegro and the Littoral but failed to live up to his trust.

"Those who rose to high office with the support of Metropolitan Amfilohije, tasked with building bridges, dulling the spears, and bringing people together regardless of their nationality or how they pray to God, have betrayed the trust of the Metropolitan (Amfilohije). May the Lord, through the prayers of Metropolitan Amfilohije, our Patriarch Irinej, and all the saints of Montenegro, Serbia, and the world, grant wisdom to the unwise, so they may understand that they are only here temporarily, as we all are, and that they must answer for the trust they have been given," said Patriarch Porfirije at the Church of the Holy Trinity in Sremčica.

"Those who declared themselves anti-fascists have never condemned the genocidal crimes of the SS fascist units... Unfortunately, Montenegro has a capacity for self-destruction. In critical situations when strength is needed, Montenegro destroys itself. We must unite around our holy sites. Our problems will not be solved in Brussels or Washington," said Metropolitan Joanikije during a sermon at the Monastery of Stanjevići on the Feast of the Holy Trinity.

On June 17, the Montenegrin Parliament, by a majority vote, adopted a resolution recognizing the mass executions of Srebrenica's male population in July 1995 as genocide and banned denial of this fact. The MPs also voted to dismiss Montenegro's Minister of Justice, Vladimir Leposavić, who refused to use the term "genocide" for the events in Srebrenica.

As previously reported by the UOJ, Montenegro's Prime Minister refused to sign an agreement with the Serbian Orthodox Church.

Read also

Italian media: Ukrainian authorities persecute the country’s largest confession

The Italian outlet L’Identità reported on mass searches, the arrests of clergy, and the ban on the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, which it describes as the largest Church in Ukraine.

London mayor switches on festive Ramadan lights

In London, the Muslim mayor inaugurated Ramadan illuminations: a central street was decorated with a “Happy Ramadan” sign and Islamic-style ornaments.

DESS: Ramadan is a time of special closeness to the Almighty

DESS congratulated Ukraine’s Muslims on the beginning of Ramadan.

Jehovah’s witness pastor sentenced in Lviv region for refusing TRC service

A court in Lviv region sentenced a Jehovah’s Witness pastor to five years in prison for unauthorized absence from his unit and for refusing to serve as a TRC cook.

Orthodox Church in America raises $700,000 for Ukrainians in Poland

An OCA representative met with Metropolitan Sava and discussed humanitarian support for Ukrainian refugees in Poland.

Hollywood Catholic actors remind of the spiritual meaning of Great Lent

Mark Wahlberg i Jonathan Roumie recorded a video message calling for prayer at the beginning of Great Lent.