Court hearings in the case of Metropolitan Arseniy continue this week
Metropolitan Arseniy of Sviatohirsk. Photo: Sviatohirsk Lavra
On September 17, another hearing took place in the Slovyansk City District Court in the case of Metropolitan Arseniy, the abbot of the Sviatohirsk Lavra. According to the monastery’s website, despite repeated petitions for permission for the bishop to participate in the hearings via video link, the judge denied the requests of the defense lawyers.
“Transporting Metropolitan Arseniy from the city of Dnipro, where he is being held in pre-trial detention, to the Slovyansk City District Court, where his case is being heard, harms his health, and recently, due to changes in the situation on the front lines, it also poses a danger to his life. Meanwhile, the participation of defendants in hearings via video link is allowed under Ukrainian law,” the statement says.
It is noted that the presiding judge, Tetiana Khaustova, has repeatedly denied the lawyers' requests. On September 17, despite the danger to the bishop’s life and the convoy accompanying him, Metropolitan Arseniy was again transported to Slovyansk at the judge’s insistence.
The bishop was supported in the courtroom by brothers of the Lavra, nuns from the Lavra’s Sketes of the Joy of All Who Sorrow and St. John, and parishioners of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church.
The lawyers filed a motion to have Tetiana Khaustova removed from the case, so that a different judge could take over.
In his statement, Metropolitan Arseniy reminded the court that the Supreme Court of Ukraine had recommended his participation in hearings via video link during the last appeal.
“The court's stance is incomprehensible: ‘It has to be this way and no other.’ The request for my participation in hearings via video conference is justified. Especially since I am being transported in a vehicle designed for regional transport, not inter-regional. It's suitable for trips of an hour or an hour and a half, not for the 15-hour round trip we’ve been making in temperatures of 37–40 degrees Celsius in the shade. The convoy is traveling in similarly poor conditions, as it makes no difference: whether I’m sitting on this side of the bars or they’re sitting on the other, we’re all in the same vehicle. And they are also wearing their gear,” said Metropolitan Arseniy.
The following day, on September 18, the motion to have Judge Khaustova removed was reviewed by another judge. The motion was denied.
The next hearing in the case of Metropolitan Arseniy is scheduled for September 19 at 1:00 PM in the same court. These and future hearings will continue under the leadership of T. Khaustova. The Sviatohirsk Lavra has pointed out that the judge claimed she receives instructions on how to handle the case and judge recusals from the head of the court. However, her statements contradict the norms of the Criminal Procedure Code of Ukraine.
As the UOJ previously reported, the SBU has stated that Metropolitan Arseniy faces up to 8 years of imprisonment.
Read also
Priests and laity of Rivne Eparchy donate blood for children with cancer
In Rivne, the UOC clergy and laity have donated blood for children undergoing treatment for cancer.
Kyiv seminary students meet with People’s Artist Larisa Kadochnikova
Students of Kyiv’s theological schools spoke with the legend of Ukrainian cinema, who shared her memories of filming "Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors".
Bancheny Monastery reports provocation
The UOC monastery in Bancheny has reported a provocation by unidentified individuals.
Romanian Church to hold joint prayer for peace in Ukraine
On the fourth anniversary of the beginning of the war in Ukraine, special prayers for an end to the hostility will be offered in all churches of the Romanian Patriarchate, both in the country and abroad.
Armenian bishops call on authorities to stop Church persecution
At a meeting in Austria, hierarchs of the Armenian Apostolic Church reaffirmed their faithfulness to Catholicos Karekin II of All Armenians and called on the authorities to stop the persecution of the clergy.
Italian media: Ukrainian authorities persecute the country’s largest confession
The Italian outlet L’Identità reported on mass searches, the arrests of clergy, and the ban on the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, which it describes as the largest Church in Ukraine.