Abbot of Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra visits St. George Convent in Rivne

Metropolitan Pavel with the sisters and parishioners of St. George Monastery in Rivne. Photo: Rivne Eparchy's Press Service

On May 14, 2025, the Feast of Mid-Pentecost, the abbot of the Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra, Metropolitan Pavel, visited the St. George Convent in Rivne, the press service of the Rivne Eparchy reports.

During his visit, Metropolitan Pavel venerated the revered relics of the monastery and congratulated all those present on the Feast of the Lord’s Resurrection, emphasizing the foundational significance of Christ’s Resurrection in the life of every Christian.

“Despite all the hardships and trials our Church is going through, the joy of the Risen Savior remains the main source of our strength and hope,” the metropolitan said in his address to the faithful.

In turn, Archbishop Pimen of Rivne and Ostroh highlighted the importance of Metropolitan Pavlo’s visit for strengthening the spirit of Orthodox Christians in the region. “The courage and steadfastness of Vladyka Pavel is motivational for us all,” said Archbishop Pimen.

Despite ongoing legal persecution, Metropolitan Pavel continues to actively participate in Church life. As previously reported, in April 2023 a criminal case was opened against him on charges of inciting interreligious hatred and justifying Russian aggression. However, many believers and representatives of the UOC view the case as politically motivated and connected to broader pressure on the canonical Church.

As the UOJ previously reported, the trial of Metropolitan Pavel has been ongoing for two years. During this time, his pre-trial restrictions have been repeatedly extended. Despite limitations on his movements, he continues his archpastoral ministry and receives numerous invitations from various UOC eparchies. Experts note that the case against the abbot of the Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra is part of a systemic campaign of pressure against the UOC.

Read also

Hollywood Catholic actors remind of the spiritual meaning of Great Lent

Mark Wahlberg i Jonathan Roumie recorded a video message calling for prayer at the beginning of Great Lent.

MP Huz discusses seizure of UOC monastery in Myltsi with Volyn RMA head

Huz demanded that the authorities "resolve the situation" with the St. Nicholas Monastery of the Volodymyr-Volynsky Eparchy of the UOC.

Lviv authorities to allocate UAH 300,000 for UGCC church damaged by shelling

The Lviv City Council will finance the restoration of stained glass windows of the Uniate church after damage sustained as a result of a missile strike.

Yelets Icon of Mother of God venerated in ancient monastery of Chernihiv

Metropolitan Clement celebrated the Liturgy at the Yelets Monastery of Chernihiv on the day of veneration of the monastery's main shrine.

In Korsun-Shevchenkivskyi, OCU supporters convert seized church into warehouse

In the Cherkasy region, Dumenko's supporters set up a clothing warehouse in the Church of the Savior Not Made by Hands, which previously belonged to the UOC.

Ukraine should allow same-sex marriages for EU accession, European Commission

Brussels has stated that it expects Kyiv to adopt a law on legal recognition of homosexual unions.