Caucasus Muslim leader responds to claims of church destruction in Karabakh
Head of the Caucasus Muslims Office and the Cathedral of the Intercession of the Theotokos in Stepanakert. Photo: open sources
On April 29, 2026, the head of the Caucasus Muslims Office, Allahshukur Pashazade, sent a letter of protest to the World Council of Churches in response to allegations of the destruction of Armenian churches in Karabakh, AZERTAC reported.
The move followed a statement by the international organization on April 23 addressing the destruction of Armenian religious heritage. The letter states: “Recent events in our region have been grossly misrepresented with regard to our country; such an approach is unacceptable.”
The author argued that the Council’s position is shaped under Armenian influence: “There is an impression that the World Council of Churches is being used as a tool to spread provocative propaganda that does not reflect the truth and undermines the peace process.”
The letter also addresses the issue of religious sites. “The accusations contained in the statement are absolutely groundless,” it says, adding that “the preservation and restoration of all religious monuments – mosques, churches, and synagogues – are ensured without any distinction or bias.”
The appeal further presents arguments regarding the regional situation: “Portraying the historical lands of Azerbaijan as Armenian territory constitutes a violation of international law and ignores historical realities.”
It also comments on the nature of the conflict: “Despite attempts to present it as a Christian–Muslim confrontation, it is not a religious conflict. Armenian Christians and Azerbaijani Muslims must live in peace and mutual respect.”
The issue of the population was also addressed: “Claims that Armenian residents were forcibly expelled are entirely unfounded.”
In conclusion, the letter states that “such an approach harms the fragile atmosphere of trust in the region and does not serve the cause of peace,” while expressing hope for a “fair approach” from the international organization.
As previously reported by the UOJ, human rights advocates said Azerbaijani authorities demolished Armenian churches in Karabakh, publishing satellite images confirming the destruction of the Cathedral of the Intercession of the Virgin in Khankendi (Stepanakert), as well as the earlier demolition of St. Hakob Church. Both were destroyed between early March and early April 2026, with observers describing it as a deliberate erasure of Armenian cultural and religious heritage.
Read also
In Tbilisi, car rams into gates of Georgian Patriarchate
A passenger car knocked down the barrier and damaged the entrance to the territory of the Georgian Primate's residence.
DESS recognizes Holosiiv Monastery as affiliated with ROC
Viktor Yelensky signed an order recognizing the monastery as part of a foreign structure.
Patriarch and President of Serbia receive Belt of Most Holy Theotokos
The shrine is located in the Ascension Church and will be transferred by Patriarch Porfirije to Saint Sava Cathedral on May 21.
OCU “accepts” UOC community from Serbychany that voted against transfer
The OCU ignored the position of more than 400 village residents and announced the “accession” of the UOC community.
Supreme Court rejects UOC bishop’s appeal over Kremenchuk Trinity Cathedral
The cassation instance within the Supreme Court upheld the decision transferring the church to the OCU structure.
Georgia prepares festivities marking 1,700 yrs since adoption of Christianity
Authorities and the Church in Tbilisi agreed on a phased calendar and the regions where commemorative events for the anniversary will be held.