Oldest UOC church in Sumy marks its patronal feast
St Elijah Church of the UOC in Sumy. Photo: Sumy Eparchy
The patronal feast and the 175th anniversary of the consecration of Sumy’s oldest church – St Elijah Church – were celebrated in the city. Metropolitan Yevlohiy of Sumy and Okhtyrka led the festivities at the regional capital’s oldest Orthodox parish, the Sumy Eparchy reported.
A special highlight of the celebration was the arrival of a revered shrine – the wonderworking Pustynno-Hlynska Icon of the Mother of God from the Hlynska Hermitage.
During the Divine Liturgy, Metropolitan Yevlohiy was joined by the church rector, Archpriest Volodymyr Shulha, and visiting clergy. The faithful offered fervent prayers for peace in Ukraine, for the country’s defenders, and for all those in need of help and shelter.
Following the Divine Liturgy, the clergy performed the rite of glorification in honor of the holy Prophet Elijah and proclaimed the customary prayers for many years. Concluding the celebrations, Metropolitan Yevlohiy congratulated the parish on its anniversary and wished the faithful strong faith and spiritual fortitude. The community then invited the many pilgrims and guests to a festive meal.
The history of St Elijah Church – the oldest church in Sumy – dates back to the first half of the eighteenth century. The present stone building, designed in the Classical style, was completed and consecrated in 1851 thanks to donations from merchant and churchwarden Stepan Tikhonov. The wooden church that previously stood on the site was completely destroyed in the devastating city fire of 1839.
For decades, St Elijah Parish has remained an important center of charitable work. For more than 20 years, free hot meals have been prepared there every day for those in need. Orthodox volunteers deliver food to the homes of sick and elderly residents and regularly distribute groceries and clothing among the city’s poor.
As previously reported by the UOJ, a Ukrainian monastery in Romania celebrated its patronal feast.
Read also
Ukraine now allows matronymics alongside patronymics
Ukrainian legislation has allowed people to change their patronymic since 2021, including replacing the father's name with the mother's name.
Kharkiv's gay community announces LGBT march
At the pride march in Kharkiv, participants will demand the legalization of same-sex marriages in Ukraine.
Ukrainians criticize official who called pilgrimage to Pochaiv "horrifying"
Threads users did not support the head of the "Ancient Kyiv" Reserve, Roman Malenkov, who called the UOC pilgrimage "a horrifying horror."
Metropolitan Alexiy of Voznesensk consecrates chapel in Velyka Solona
The ruling bishop of the Voznesensk Eparchy performed the consecration of the Chapel of the Holy Martyrs Faith, Hope, Love, and their mother Sophia.
UOC draws 7 times more worshippers than OCU in Kerstentsi on Transfiguration
More than 300 faithful attended the UOC parish’s patronal feast in Kerstentsi.
Sybiha invites Putin to take Dmitry Donskoy’s place in sarcophagus
Ukraine’s foreign minister commented on reports that part of the relics of Holy Prince Dmitry Donskoy could be sent to Russian troops.