Metropolitan Jonathan comments on the accusations against him

Metropolitan Jonathan (Yeletskykh). Photo: press service of the Tulchyn Eparchy

Metropolitan Jonathan (Yeletskykh) of Tulchyn and Bratslav addressed the faithful in connection with the accusations from law enforcement agencies against him. A video of the appeal was published on the YouTube channel of the Vinnytsia eparchy.

Vladyka noted that slanders and accusations against him come from all sides, and the media fabricate unbelievable news.

“Some wrote that I wanted to escape from Ukraine, others said I had been brought to Kyiv in handcuffs to sort out my case against Ukraine, against the people, against the faithful of my diocese. Some others thought that the FSB of the Russian Federation was hunting me in order to kill me and shift the blame to the security agencies of Ukraine,” said Metropolitan Jonathan.

The ruling bishop of the Tulchyn diocese stated that the SBU declared him suspected of inciting internecine hostility on religious grounds, although he himself, on the contrary, called for unity and peace from the pulpit.

“After all these misadventures, I was honored with the paternal support of the Primate of the UOC and I am very grateful to His Beatitude for this,” the bishop noted.

The metropolitan also said that despite the fact that he was born in Russia, in the Belgorod region, he considers Ukraine his native country and cannot support the war.

“My parents are buried at the Lisove Cemetery in Kyiv. My relatives – nephews – live in Kyiv, they consider themselves Ukrainians. Do I really want them to be affected by war, which has actually affected them now?” His Eminence added.

The Metropolitan of Tulchyn and Bratslav said that on November 14 he was summoned to the SBU for a “talk” on the issue of suspicions presented to him.

“Everything you read in these newspapers is a lie. And I think that I will bring to the attention of the investigating authorities that I am not an enemy of Ukraine, but the one who loves it and is its patriot,” Vladyka said.

Recall, on October 11, the SBU conducted a search at the residence place of Metropolitan Jonathan and stated that he faced up to five years in prison.

Later, Vladyka noted that the search in his house was ordered and aimed at discrediting the hierarchs of the UOC.

The UOJ also reported that the clergy of the Tulchyn eparchy declared full confidence in their ruling bishop.

On November 7, the SBU officially notified the hierarch of the suspicion.

Read also

UOC Primate blesses special prayer rule for Great Lent

Metropolitan Onuphry blessed to pray for peace in Ukraine during Great Lent.

In Britain, Christians are no longer majority

According to a Pew Research Center study, the share of Christians in the United Kingdom has fallen below 50%.

His Beatitude Onuphry addresses flock before Great Lent

The Primate of the UOC blessed the faithful for the upcoming Great Lent.

Lavra Reserve complains to UNESCO about heating and power outage

International experts studied possible threats to the Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra – from missile strikes to power and heating outages.

Konotop Eparchy Administration is under repair after shelling

The replacement of the windows damaged as a result of the shelling in the Church of All Saints and the building of the Konotop Eparchy has become possible thanks to donations from believers.

Priests and laity of Rivne Eparchy donate blood for children with cancer

In Rivne, the UOC clergy and laity have donated blood for children undergoing treatment for cancer.