I was told: if you want to live in peace, join OCU, - DECR head on searches

Metropolitan Meletiy (Egorenko). Photo: Foma in Ukraine

Metropolitan Meletiy of Chernivtsi and Bukovyna at the sermon on the day of St. John Chrysostom told the details of the search, which took place in the eparchy on November 25, 2022.

"They came at 7 a.m., unexpectedly and spectacularly. They smashed all the doors in the eparchy as if someone did not want to let them in. They came with machine guns, shouting, shrieking, with glass everywhere, saying: 'Get up, hands up!'. I'm in my pyjamas, I don't even know what to do. They read me the order, warned me and started a search. They took away my phones and computer disks. They did not let my lawyer in, as if it were not a democratic free Ukraine, but some kind of North Korea," says the archbishop.

He also said that the SBU gave him "good advice" on how to avoid further such "visits".

"Privately, one of the kind masked men called me over and said: "If you want such a circus not to continue and you live peacefully in the future – shift to the OCU", after which he turned around and left," Metropolitan Meletiy recalled.

As earlier reported, on 25 November the SBU conducted a search in the Chernivtsi Eparchy.

Read also

OCU Lavra "abbot": Homeless soldiers will live in Kyiv Lavra after the war

Avraamiy Lotysh said the monastery will become a shelter for veterans who have nowhere to return after the war.

OCU "abbot": Everyone will be allowed into Lavra Caves – regardless of faith

Lotysh spoke about which of the Venerable Fathers of the Caves one should pray to for victory.

Armenian Church bishops hold meeting in Austria without Catholicos

At the meeting of Armenian Church bishops in Austria, current issues were discussed, while the Catholicos of All Armenians addressed participants online.

Phanar hierarch comments to UOJ on synod’s decision to suspend him

Bishop Emilianos of Meloe learned of his six-month suspension from a friend who had seen a post on Facebook – no official notice followed.

Lviv region resident jailed for refusing military service on religious grounds

A court in the Lviv region has sentenced a 42-year-old resident of Stryi to three years in prison for evading mobilization. He had previously been declared fit for service by a military medical commission and had received a draft notice.

Catholic priest in U.S. converts to Orthodoxy

Former cleric of the Melkite Church Sebastian Carnazzo has entered the jurisdiction of the Constantinople Patriarchate.