Met. Yevlogy expresses condolences in connection with tragedy in Bilopillia

A minibus hit by a kamikaze drone. Photo: National Police of Ukraine

On May 17, 2025, Metropolitan Yevlogy of Sumy and Akhtyrka of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church expressed condolences in connection with the murder of civilians in Bilopillia, Sumy region.

Early in the morning in Bilopillia, a Russian kamikaze drone "Lancet" hit a passenger bus carrying civilians. As a result of the attack, nine people were killed, seven were injured, three are in serious condition. Most of the deceased are elderly women.

Commenting on this tragedy, Metropolitan Yevlogy emphasized that the deceased and the injured "did not hold weapons, did not pose a threat, did not have malice in their hearts – only a trembling hope to escape alive from the hell in which our long-suffering people live...".

"The overwhelming majority are elderly women who have already endured more than one difficult time in their lives. These old women, bent by fate and age, with anxiety in their eyes, went out to meet salvation – and were ruthlessly, mercilessly destroyed by a satanic hand," said the hierarch.

He emphasized that "only those who have renounced the fear of God, conscience, and even the shadow of humanity are capable of this".

"The voice of your brother's blood cries out to Me from the ground" (Gen. 4:10), said the Lord to Cain, the murderer of his brother. That same blood today cries out to God from Ukrainian land. The voice of Bilopillia reaches the heavens. No propaganda will drown it out, and no false repentance will wash it away," said the bishop.

He expressed deep condolences to the relatives and loved ones and called on the faithful to pray for the healing of all the wounded, for their physical and spiritual strengthening.

"Let us not allow our hearts to grow cold. May our sorrow turn into fervent prayer. And from it – may an irresistible force of love, truth, and victory grow. For Christ is the Victor over death and hell – Truly He is Risen!" concluded the archbishop.

As previously reported by the UOJ, on April 26, 2025, at the Trinity Cathedral of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Sumy, Metropolitan Yevlogy celebrated the Divine Liturgy and the funeral service for the newly departed Protodeacon Oleksiy Kuznetsov.

Read also

Priests and laity of Rivne Eparchy donate blood for children with cancer

In Rivne, the UOC clergy and laity have donated blood for children undergoing treatment for cancer.

Kyiv seminary students meet with People’s Artist Larisa Kadochnikova

Students of Kyiv’s theological schools spoke with the legend of Ukrainian cinema, who shared her memories of filming "Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors".

Bancheny Monastery reports provocation

The UOC monastery in Bancheny has reported a provocation by unidentified individuals.

Romanian Church to hold joint prayer for peace in Ukraine

On the fourth anniversary of the beginning of the war in Ukraine, special prayers for an end to the hostility will be offered in all churches of the Romanian Patriarchate, both in the country and abroad.

Armenian bishops call on authorities to stop Church persecution

At a meeting in Austria, hierarchs of the Armenian Apostolic Church reaffirmed their faithfulness to Catholicos Karekin II of All Armenians and called on the authorities to stop the persecution of the clergy.

Italian media: Ukrainian authorities persecute the country’s largest confession

The Italian outlet L’Identità reported on mass searches, the arrests of clergy, and the ban on the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, which it describes as the largest Church in Ukraine.