In Nigeria, Islamic radicals kill eight Christians

Aftermath of Boko Haram militants’ attack on a Christian village in Nigeria. Photo: Associated Press

Between August 30 and 31, 2025, Boko Haram militants carried out a series of attacks in Nigeria’s Borno State, killing eight people, reports Christian Daily International.

According to local sources, the first attack took place in Gwoza district, where militants shot five Christians dead while they were working in the fields. The following day, in Askira-Uba district, terrorists broke into the homes of Christians while they were sleeping and killed three people.

The attacks were confirmed by the state’s police and military. An army spokesman said that security measures would be reinforced, but according to a senator, militants also burned down dozens of houses, leaving many people homeless.

“I am profoundly saddened by these senseless killings,” Ndume said in the statement. “Our people, whose only pursuit is peace and livelihood, continue to fall victim to the cruelty of insurgents. These men and women deserved to live, to farm and to dream, but their lives have been cut short by those who thrive on violence and destruction,” the senator noted.

The Boko Haram group – officially known as Jamaat Ahl al-Sunna li’l-Da‘wa wa’l-Jihad – seeks to establish Sharia law across the entire territory of Nigeria. The name Boko Haram was long translated at “Western education is forbidden,” but the group says it should be translated as “Western civilization is forbidden.”

According to the human rights organization Open Doors, the country remains one of the most dangerous places in the world for Christians: in 2025 alone, Nigeria accounted for about 69% of all killings of believers for their faith worldwide.

Earlier, the UOJ reported that in Nigeria Islamists killed five Christians and abducted another 110.

Read also

Hollywood Catholic actors remind of the spiritual meaning of Great Lent

Mark Wahlberg i Jonathan Roumie recorded a video message calling for prayer at the beginning of Great Lent.

MP Huz discusses seizure of UOC monastery in Myltsi with Volyn RMA head

Huz demanded that the authorities "resolve the situation" with the St. Nicholas Monastery of the Volodymyr-Volynsky Eparchy of the UOC.

Lviv authorities to allocate UAH 300,000 for UGCC church damaged by shelling

The Lviv City Council will finance the restoration of stained glass windows of the Uniate church after damage sustained as a result of a missile strike.

Yelets Icon of Mother of God venerated in ancient monastery of Chernihiv

Metropolitan Clement celebrated the Liturgy at the Yelets Monastery of Chernihiv on the day of veneration of the monastery's main shrine.

In Korsun-Shevchenkivskyi, OCU supporters convert seized church into warehouse

In the Cherkasy region, Dumenko's supporters set up a clothing warehouse in the Church of the Savior Not Made by Hands, which previously belonged to the UOC.

Ukraine should allow same-sex marriages for EU accession, European Commission

Brussels has stated that it expects Kyiv to adopt a law on legal recognition of homosexual unions.