Attempted seizure at Pochaiv Lavra

In Pochaiv, seminarians push back the attackers. Photo: UOJ

On October 8, 2025, unidentified persons attempted to seize the Economic Building of the Pochaiv Lavra, sources in the monastery told the UOJ. With support from accomplices, the attackers used an angle grinder to cut the locks on the gates and tried to enter the premises. Thanks to the timely response of the seminarians, the attempted breach was stopped.

The seminarians blocked the intruders and managed to push them back beyond the gates. According to Lavra sources, the attackers left the scene but threatened to return with reinforcements.

According to Pershyi Kozatskyi (“First Cossack”), among the attackers were seen the head of the Kremenets branch of the SBU, Serhii Zasiadko, and the head of the Kremenets–Pochaiv Reserve, Vasyl Ilchyshyn.

The brethren and faithful are asking for support and prayers.

Earlier, the UOJ reported that the SBU and police conducted searches at the Pochaiv Lavra.

Read also

OCU Lavra "abbot": Homeless soldiers will live in Kyiv Lavra after the war

Avraamiy Lotysh said the monastery will become a shelter for veterans who have nowhere to return after the war.

Frankfurt authorities allocate €100,000 to prepare the city for Ramadan

Frankfurt will be decorated for Ramadan – city officials describe the initiative as a sign of openness, diversity, and solidarity with the Muslim community.

OCU "abbot": Everyone will be allowed into Lavra Caves – regardless of faith

Lotysh spoke about which of the Venerable Fathers of the Caves one should pray to for victory.

Armenian Church bishops hold meeting in Austria without Catholicos

At the meeting of Armenian Church bishops in Austria, current issues were discussed, while the Catholicos of All Armenians addressed participants online.

Phanar hierarch comments to UOJ on synod’s decision to suspend him

Bishop Emilianos of Meloe learned of his six-month suspension from a friend who had seen a post on Facebook – no official notice followed.

Lviv region resident jailed for refusing military service on religious grounds

A court in the Lviv region has sentenced a 42-year-old resident of Stryi to three years in prison for evading mobilization. He had previously been declared fit for service by a military medical commission and had received a draft notice.