The Reserve seals up two Lavra buildings together with the faithful inside

Believers read prayers in the locked buildings of the Lavra. Photo: Channel 24

On August 11, in the Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra, the parishioners of the UOC locked in Buildings 54 and 58 of the monastery. Nevertheless, representatives of the reserve sealed up these premises. This is reported by the Strana publication.

The monastery's hotel rooms are located in two sealed buildings. Law enforcement officers warned the parishioners of the UOC that they could only leave the buildings, but they would not be able to return, since the directorate of the Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra Reserve issued an order according to which outsiders were not allowed into the Lavra. Despite the fact that the monks are allowed to be on the territory of the Lower Lavra, they were verbally told about the same.

“The policemen warned the monks that we should be on the territory of the Lavra. If we leave it, they will not let us back. No one has blocked the buildings for the monks so far, but there were a lot of pilgrims from all over Ukraine on the territory of the Lavra, and since yesterday evening they have not been able to get into the rooms where many have been living for several years,” says one of the monks.

Faithful of the UOC have been staying in blocked buildings since morning reading prayers; many police officers continue to be on duty on the territory.

As reported by the UOJ, Maksym Ostapenko, Acting General Director of the Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra Reserve, said that he was taking buildings away from the monastery in order to accommodate the prisoners and the wounded who need "spiritual rehabilitation".

Read also

Cherkasy RMA head reports Uman's preparations for Hasidic pilgrims' visit

Uman will strengthen security measures, medical services, transportation, and checkpoints, and an operational headquarters will be established for the duration of Rosh Hashanah celebrations.

In Italy, RCC priest commits suicide over transfer to another parish

In Italy, a 75-year-old Roman Catholic priest took his own life after after the announcement of a transfer from the parish where he had served for nearly 25 years.

UOC believers in Yakushyntsi call to protect their churches from seizure

Parishioners of St. Nicholas Church and the Church of Seraphim of Sarov declared a violation of their religious rights and asked the international community to pay attention to the situation.

Protestant missionary abducted by militants released in Niger

An American Protestant missionary spent nearly ten months in captivity in Niger, where Islamist militant activity has intensified.

Prosecutors: Russian attacks damage nearly 2,000 churches and heritage sites

According to the prosecutor's office, 1,990 cultural heritage sites in Ukraine, including churches and other religious buildings, have been damaged or destroyed.

TRC detains rector of UOC parish in Khvorostiv

The Volodymyr-Volynskyi Eparchy called on the faithful to intensify their prayers for the mobilized priest.