Rada to consider law on alternative service based on religious beliefs
An illustrative photo from today.ua
The Verkhovna Rada registered bill No. 11439, aimed at ensuring the constitutional right of citizens to alternative (non-military) service. It seeks to address existing gaps in Ukrainian legislation that allow for ambiguous resolutions of certain legal issues.
Specifically, the document proposes several amendments to Article 23 of the Law "On Mobilization Preparation and Mobilization," stipulating that the following categories are not subject to military service during mobilization (in a special period):
• Clergy members who belong to churches and religious organisations (associations) included in the AUCCRO, whose activities are not banned in Ukraine;
• Ukrainian citizens who can provide written confirmation that fulfilling military duties contradicts their religious beliefs (such citizens should have their military duty replaced with alternative (non-military) service).
As reported by the UOJ, the Supreme Court published a decision regarding refusal of service due to religion.
Earlier, the Theological Commission of the UOC expressed its position on the issue of mobilization.
Read also
Khust Eparchy vicar performs monastic tonsure at Lypcha Convent
The new nun was tonsured with the name Xenia.
Volyn Eparchy of UOC holds "Favor" youth festival
The Orthodox youth forum will last until the Feast of the Dormition of the Most Holy Theotokos.
Vinnytsia Metropolitan expresses words of support to Sviatohirsk Lavra brotherhood
Bishop Varsonofiy expressed deep grief over the murder of a monk of the Sviatohirsk Lavra.
US Protestant congregation hires transgender as pastor
A transgender lesbian will lead a Protestant congregation as interim pastor.
Ostapenko voices frustration over Upper Lavra court proceedings
The Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra case was postponed until September 29, a move that drew criticism from the head of the reserve.
Historic UOC church destroyed in shelling of frontline village of Horsk
St. Nicholas Church, built in 1908–1911, burned down after shelling on August 26.