In Italy, RCC priest commits suicide over transfer to another parish

A Catholic priest. Illustrative photo: Depositphotos

On August 12, the body of 75-year-old Catholic priest Lino Zatelli was found in the Italian city of Trento. Shortly before his death, he had learned of his transfer from the parish where he had served for nearly 25 years, reports Tribune Chrétienne.

That morning, the priest was supposed to celebrate Mass at the Church of San Carlo Borromeo, but he did not appear for the service. The sacristan then went to his home and discovered his body.

Shortly before the tragedy, Zatelli was informed that, as part of a diocesan reorganization, he was required to leave the parish to which he had devoted nearly a quarter of a century. The priest was deeply distressed by this decision and openly told his parishioners: "I never asked to leave." A campaign was even organized to demand he stay at San Carlo, with a petition gathering several hundred signatures.

This tragedy also raises the question of the loneliness and suffering of elederly priests, in Italy as well as in France. Catholic authors note that for a clergyman, leaving a parish after decades of service means not merely a change of ministry but a break the community that had actually become his family and primary social circle.

At the same time, the authors of the publication emphasize that it is impossible to definitively establish the transfer as the direct cause of the suicide. The tragedy has, however, once again drawn attention to the issues of isolation, emotional exhaustion, and lack of support among Catholic clergy.

Previously, the UOJ reported that in Italy, Catholic bishops cancelled the funerals of two Freemasons.

Read also

In Italy, RCC priest commits suicide over transfer to another parish

In Italy, a 75-year-old Roman Catholic priest took his own life after after the announcement of a transfer from the parish where he had served for nearly 25 years.

UOC believers in Yakushyntsi call to protect their churches from seizure

Parishioners of St. Nicholas Church and the Church of Seraphim of Sarov declared a violation of their religious rights and asked the international community to pay attention to the situation.

Protestant missionary abducted by militants released in Niger

An American Protestant missionary spent nearly ten months in captivity in Niger, where Islamist militant activity has intensified.

Prosecutors: Russian attacks damage nearly 2,000 churches and heritage sites

According to the prosecutor's office, 1,990 cultural heritage sites in Ukraine, including churches and other religious buildings, have been damaged or destroyed.

TRC detains rector of UOC parish in Khvorostiv

The Volodymyr-Volynskyi Eparchy called on the faithful to intensify their prayers for the mobilized priest.

Romanian Church lays claim to Moldovan government building

The Metropolis of Bessarabia said it could seek the return of Moldova’s government building because a metropolitan residence belonging to the Romanian Church once stood on the site.