Romanian Church lays claim to Moldovan government building

2824
13:15
Metropolitan Antonie of Bessarabia. Photo: Facebook Metropolitan Antonie of Bessarabia. Photo: Facebook

The Metropolis of Bessarabia said it could seek the return of Moldova’s government building because a metropolitan residence belonging to the Romanian Church once stood on the site.

On August 18, 2026, it became known that the Metropolis of Bessarabia of the Romanian Orthodox Church had laid claim to Moldova’s government building, arguing that a metropolitan palace belonging to the Romanian Church had previously stood on the site, Context News reports.

Metropolitan Antonie of Bessarabia jokingly remarked that if the building were returned, the Church could rent it back to the Moldovan authorities. “If we took back the government building, that would be the best option – we could lease it out,” he said.

In addition to the government building, the Metropolis of Bessarabia is laying claim to around 30 properties in Moldova that it considers part of its historical estate.

According to Metropolitan Antonie, where restitution is impossible, the Church intends to seek financial compensation. “Obviously, they will not return everything to us, but let them return at least one property. As for the rest, we will see how to recover them. At the very least, I think we deserve compensation,” he said.

Earlier, the UOJ reported that the new head of the Metropolis of Bessarabia had called on the Moldovan authorities to cooperate.

If you notice an error, select the required text and press Ctrl+Enter or Submit an error to report it to the editors.
If you find an error in the text, select it with the mouse and press Ctrl+Enter or this button If you find an error in the text, highlight it with the mouse and click this button The highlighted text is too long!
Read also