Court keeps UOJ journalist in pre-trial detention

Court hearing. Photo: UOJ

On April 9, 2024, a court hearing took place regarding the appeal against the preventive measure for detained UOJ journalist Andriy Ovcharenko.

According to video materials available to the UOJ, contrary to Ukrainian legislation, Andriy Ovcharenko was not brought to the courtroom.

His lawyer, arguing for a change in the preventive measure, told the court that the materials of the accusation do not contain arguments indicating Ovcharenko's violation of Ukrainian legislation.

As an example, he cited a situation where unknown individuals in Boyarka seized a church belonging to the UOC community, having previously sawed off the locks.

Information about this illegal act appeared on the UOJ website, which the prosecution, referring to the findings of the expertise, considered incitement of religious enmity.

The lawyer drew the court's attention to the fact that Andriy Ovcharenko, like every citizen of Ukraine, has the right to freedom of speech and religion.

A standard television set was installed in the courtroom without additional equipment to enhance sound. As a result, when Andriy Ovcharenko connected, almost nothing he said was audible in the courtroom.

Furthermore, Andriy himself, as the defendant, had no opportunity to participate in the court hearing, respond to the accusations, request the court for explanations, which is a violation of current legislation.

In turn, after Ovcharenko's speech, which was hardly audible due to poor sound quality, the prosecution presented arguments that, in its opinion, proved the guilt of the Orthodox journalist.

As a result of the appellate hearing, the court's decision was to keep the UOJ journalist in pre-trial detention.

Earlier, the UOJ reported that the court rejected the appeal to change the preventive measure for the UOJ journalist.

Read also

DESS: Ramadan is a time of special closeness to the Almighty

DESS congratulated Ukraine’s Muslims on the beginning of Ramadan.

Jehovah’s witness pastor sentenced in Lviv region for refusing TRC service

A court in Lviv region sentenced a Jehovah’s Witness pastor to five years in prison for unauthorized absence from his unit and for refusing to serve as a TRC cook.

Orthodox Church in America raises $700,000 for Ukrainians in Poland

An OCA representative met with Metropolitan Sava and discussed humanitarian support for Ukrainian refugees in Poland.

Hollywood Catholic actors remind of the spiritual meaning of Great Lent

Mark Wahlberg i Jonathan Roumie recorded a video message calling for prayer at the beginning of Great Lent.

MP Huz discusses seizure of UOC monastery in Myltsi with Volyn RMA head

Huz demanded that the authorities "resolve the situation" with the St. Nicholas Monastery of the Volodymyr-Volynsky Eparchy of the UOC.

Lviv authorities to allocate UAH 300,000 for UGCC church damaged by shelling

The Lviv City Council will finance the restoration of stained glass windows of the Uniate church after damage sustained as a result of a missile strike.